Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nows the time

Social justice, two words that I feel can change the world. Recently I have been doing a lot of soul searching and decided now is the time for me to act on how I feel on this issue, time to get off my rear and do something. For as long as I can remember I have always had the desire to help others not caring about who they were or where they were from just help them and now that feeling has grown even more. I am tired of picking up a paper or watching the news and hearing how people treat each other or how we just feel that some people are disposable and the way to deal with them is throw them away or put them out of sight. Where is the justice in our own country? I recently read an article in S.I. that compared the life of an Ohio State football player and a homeless man in Columbus and it was just sickening to read the separation in how the two live. The homeless man sleeping in the cold getting up early just to get in line to take a hot shower and get something to eat, the football player waking up in a posh hotel room on game day driving his nice SUV to the stadium and being surrounded by all the luxuries you could want there including steak and chicken dinners. I understand that some will say they are both getting what they have earned but, how can we spend millions if not billions on something like college football and let our fellow humans sleep out in the cold and stand in long lines for a chance to have what we take for granted. So what will or can I do about it? I plan on getting more involved, getting the youth I work with more involved and doing everything I can to make people aware of what social justice means to me. So back to the S.I. article, this is not an indictment of college sports, there are many other areas that the same sort of waste occur and that is what bother me. What better place than our college campuses to teach about social justice and changing our world by just giving up a little of the luxuries we have. I know this seems like another of my rants but so be it, and this is just as much for me as anyone else to get off my rear and do something. The time is now

No comments: